Thursday, January 28, 2021

My First Mardi Gras 1990

So this photo popped in my FB memories today, its from my first Mardi Gras in 1990. I am shown here with Eric Liu, a former student of mine. The story behind the photo was that in the spring of 1990 I had my first sabbatical while teaching at WU. Eric was a BFA photo major, a little older than most of the other majors and on the "five year plan" to put it politely. I had this plan to photograph in the south and southwest in a series of road trips. The woman who was taking over the photo program while I was on leave, Jan Ballard, had Eric in classes before, Jan was already a faculty in photo. Eric only needed his photo major credits to graduate and she remarked to me that she didn't think she could teach him anything so why don't you take him along with you. So I did, Eric's last semester at WU was basically being my assistant and side kick for a series of road trips photographing along the way, the most memorable being Mardi Gras. We loaded up my 1979 Datsun 280Z and hit the road, going to Mardi Gras, and later Santa Fe, N.M. for the national SPE conference. It was an educational experience for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment