Saturday, November 17, 2012

Judy Hopen


Today, one of my long time model and collaborator passed to her reward after a long fight with cancer. I first photographed Judy in 1999 when she was a WU art department model and I used her in one of my elective classes. This started a longer professional relationship that this spring turned into a collaboration while she confronted her illness. Though out it all, she was amazingly positive and upbeat, using art as a way to understand and make sense of this terrible situation she found herself in. I shall remember her not as the woman who's body in the end was ravaged by both the illness and the brutal medical treatments she endured, but as the beautiful person I found her to be both in body and spirit.

Fair winds and clear sailing Judy, you'll live on in work we did together.

No comments:

Post a Comment